Sunday, July 20, 2008

If you want to get in shape, take up Reining!

Wow, my thighs are STILL sore and it has been 5 days since my last reining lesson. If you want to get in shape, take up reining. At the last clinic, we did a lot of cantering and working on sitting straight in the saddle and keeping our horses bent to the inside (just a hair). I could hardly breathe afterward. To heck with posting the trot, just canter a lot! Hmmm, that rhymed, too. Aren't I clever?

Hormonal Mare also did a superb little sliding stop. It was my first and I have never felt anything like it. Don't get the wrong idea, it was not a slide across the arena. We merely slid about a foot, but WHOA. I have felt Hormonal Mare stop quick before. In fact, she does it all the time. THIS time, however, it felt very different. It felt like her butt dropped out from underneath me (which I guess it did) and I was jerked so hard I hit the horn. I must have looked very impressive with my eye bugging out of my head.

After that, we started working on spins. That really killed me. It was all my pathetic, out of shape body could do to get her to move her forehand around. At this point, Hormonal Mare was tired and did not want to work anymore. I can't blame her, but if I had to keep working, so did she.

Over all, it was a great clinic. I love the trainer and the group I am riding with is great. The barn is fabulous. It is the only dry place I have been able to ride in for the past month. Here in Florida, it has been raining every darn day. My arena is like a river at the moment. I think fish are living out there now. Obviously, I have not been able to ride at all. The few times I have ridden are at the indoor barn for the reining lessons.

Also, I finally got a good pic of Hormonal Mare and I from the past show we went to. Here she is in the warm up area. If only she had looked like this in the RING in front of the JUDGE we might have placed higher. Oh well, our next show is August 8th. Here's to placing higher!

7 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

I've always wanted to try my hand at reining. Of course none of my horse's are reiners and I'm not sure if its something I'd want to actually get into... but I'd like to take a "test drive" on one!

Chelsi said...

I totally agree! I often find myself red faced and out of breath after loping cirlce and circle! An there is NOTHING like an amazing stop. My lesson horse loves to stop but will hold back if you are not secure. Every lesson he runs down faster and faster as I gain confidence. The faster we go, the harder he stops. Last lesson I had my biggest stop yet. 10 feet! All I could say when I finally caught my breath was "Holy S@!t!!!!" My instructor says that she can tell when I am about to say ask for a stop because my face turns white and I look like I am ready to pee myself! lol....what? He can run down REALLY fast! Good luck. Btw, Cndcowgirl- get your butt on a reiner!!! You'll never look back.

hope4more said...

Reiners are awesome, I bought one myself. I use him for barrels. The gal I bought him from used him for everything and because of his reining ability he can rate well at the barrel and turn fast. I brought him to a Reining trainer to learn all his buttons and boy was that FUN! I was a sweaty mess by the time I was done and the trainer let me take spin on his show stallion.....UM scary yes, exilerating YES!!!! I agree, cdncowgirl try one out it is a fun time.

cdncowgirl said...

As I've said, I'd like to try one. But I don't think I'd switch. What I like about barrel racing is that as far as winning or placing its so honest. You, your horse and the clock. Reining is judged and no matter what the system is I believe that there is some "politics" behind the scenes.
I would like to know though... how the heck do you not get lost when you spin?!? I got on Raincloud's ass for bucking on the barrel pattern by spinning him hard if he bucked. Not a nice reiner spin but still. The last time I had to do it I had to pause to remember which way to go! lol

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

UGH! Loping! So much fun but SO MUCH WORK. I loped like, um, across the arena twice the other day and was sore for a SOLID WEEK, and I've been going to the gym! Im not overweight, but apparently very out of shape!
Okay, my fat mare is out of shape AND overweight, and I had no spurs, oh, and she hadn't been loped in about 2 years undersaddle..sooo, lol

Anyway, what fun! Id love to go to a reining clinic, glad yall had a good time. Hope your arena dries up soon! (and you and HM look sooo perty in your pic!)

RedWritingHood said...

Good job! Keep up the great work!

Trainer X said...

You have a very AWESOME BLOG!! Very funny!!!