Monday, May 26, 2008

Does anyone else pass out after a ride?

Mind you, I live in Florida with 100 degree heat waves, but is it normal to feel like passing out after a ride? Answer to the question; NO. For those of us that are out of shape, it is imperative to stay hydrated and not over due our riding. My problem is that I have a temper. Said temper gets me into trouble sometimes. My adrenaline gets going and I ride WAY past my physical ability. Does anyone else do this? I hope that I am not alone.

The last time that I rode my big Hunter Under Saddle gelding (who is now sold), we engaged in a huge battle of wills. Said gelding did not want to MOVE and I, of course, wanted him to. By the end of the ride, I got off and could hardly breathe. I also felt like my vision was about to go black. It became very obvious that I had been too emotional and angered to pay attention to the signs of my body. I also should have stayed more hydrated considering the heat. Even for those of us who only ride for 30-45 minutes, I vote that we all start carrying water bottles on our saddles. If I had at least stopped to take a few swigs of water here and there, I might not have come so close to passing out after that ride.

It also dawned on me that I was in a dangerous state. If the said gelding had decided to spook or bolt, I would have been too weak to get out of the way. Luckily, said gelding is so lazy, he never would have considered doing ANYTHING that required energy.

I have started forcing myself to drink several glasses of water before I ride. Also, my rides have been closer to the end of the day when the sun and heat are down.

However, the moral to this story is to 1.) STAY HYDRATED and 2.) Do not ride past your physical abilities. PAY ATTENTION to your body while riding.

3 comments:

Maybe Mae said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog and think it's great. I would also be classified as an out of shape rider, but I hope to improve. Best of luck to you!

Laura said...

I too am an out of shape rider. Last summer, my first in the Colorado heat/sun, I tossed my cookies after a ride, even though I drank a ton. I'd ridden for 1.5 hrs., drank 40oz of water in 90 degree heat.

Heat Stroke in FL said...

Thanks Maybe Mae and Rich and Laura! It's great to have others out there who can understand and appreciate this blog. Kudos to all of you for working on getting back into shape. We'll all be better for it ... and RIDE better :-D